Sunday, March 30, 2008

An Unexpected Barcelona Attraction

Well, as I mentioned in my post regarding Montserrat, I wasn't feeling great the ride home, nor that night. But, I figured I could just sleep it off in time for a road trip to Valencia and Granada with my new NYC friends the following day.
Friday night I do not recall sleeping at all and come Saturday morning I was actually feeling worse. I had the worst stomach pain I've ever experienced. I finally decided that I needed to call the school emergency number to find out how I could go see a doctor. Unfortunately, my prepaid phone was out of euros. One way to add euros is via ATMs. So, I slowly made my way down 3 flights of stairs and around the block to the ATM. However, my ATM card would not work - which I have found in a number of machines.
I decided that I needed to walk up the street and find another ATM machine. It felt like I walked about 10 minutes, but probably only went about 30 feet. I finally decided I just couldn't make it and headed back to the apartment to wake up my flatmates for assistance. The lucky flatmates were C and R, married couple from Brazil. I borrowed their phone to call the school. The school advised me the fastest way to see a doctor was to go to the emergency room. I asked C if she would go with me since her Portuguese background allowed her to speak and understand Spanish very well. So, both C and R came with me. My angels!

The doctors and nurses were extremely nice and C was so helpful. I am extremely grateful to her for basically being at my bedside for nearly 8 hours and to R for patiently waiting for us in the waiting room. To make a long story short, the hospital could only give me pain medicine and suggested I get back to the U.S. to be treated.

Who gets to say they visited Barcelona and spent the day at one of their hospitals? I was really just trying to see the city in its entirety and truly experience Barcelona. One highlight of the day...a very cute doctor! C and I both felt like we were on an episode of Grey's Anatomy. The doctors and nurses were all gorgeous!

So, yes, I've had to cut my dream trip short and I am back in the U.S. Sorry, I know many of you are living vicariously through me, and I've tried to keep it going as long as I could. I believe everything happens for a reason. Perhaps I needed to come back to win the lottery or watch new episodes of Ugly Betty now that the writers' strike is over. Who knows! I have to have surgery on Thur., April 3rd, but hope that I'll make it back to Barcelona some time in May - if not to complete the school program, at least to enjoy some fun with family and friends who have booked trips to visit me.

Since I successfully sublet my apartment, I'm currently freeloading at my parents. Having a mom who cooks dinner and a dad who does the dishes each night ain't a bad gig! Plus, I'll be partaking in McDonald's nights on Tuesdays and pizza nights on Friday. Thank goodness for family!

No comments: