Tuesday, March 18, 2008

At Last...Blogging in Barcelona

At last, I have started my blog. I have no idea where to start as I´ve already tried to email most of you about my first couple of weeks in Spain. But for those I haven´t gotten a chance to reach out to yet here´s a quick summary:

1. London airport was more intimidating than when I arrived to Barcelona. Mainly because I was surrounded by so many languages in London, and felt more comfortable arriving in Barcelona and hearing Spanish - a language I had a somewhat better understanding of.

2. I currently have 3 roommates in my apartment. Two are from Brazil (married couple), one very sweet woman from Japan who´s been here since October and speaks very good Spanish and a guy from the U.K.

3. My first weekend here I tried to buy a prepaid cell phone. I went to 4 stores in search of someone who spoke English and could explain how the phone works. But, I could not find anyone so threw caution to the wind and just bought a phone with limited information. So far it´s been working fine. We´ll see how that goes.

4. I have met so many wonderful people in just my first 2 weeks here...people from all over the world - Germany, Netherlands, Japan, Brazil, UK, Switzerland....

5. Classes have been good. My biggest challenge is the understanding though this week, I was having diffuculty on the talking side as well. Hopefully that means next week I´ll be a pro at understanding AND talking. We´ll see!

6. My apartment is in a great location. For those of you familiar with Barcelona I´m near the Gotic Barrio and not far from the water. On Sunday, a friend and I walked to the beach from my place...only about a 15 minute walk.

7. I´ve become a pro at taking the train. Very similar to our Metro and to the train system in Paris, i.e. on some of the trains you have to push a button or move a handle for the doors to open.

8. I´ve been in search for churros y chocolate (which happens to be the name of my first Spanish book in high school) and found them! More on that later!

So, that´s my quick introduction. Hope you enjoy my blog!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How much was the prepaid cell that you found? I'm flying into Barcelona next week and keeping my US number is a big hassle without purchasing a Crackberry.